Ronnie: Hey, Jonah!
Jonah: Oh, hey, Ronnie! Can I ask you something?
Ronnie: Sure.
Jonah: Do you want a cookie?
Ronnie: What?
Jonah: A cookie. Like an Oreo. Do you want one?
Ronnie: No.
Jonah: How can you not want a cookie?
Ronnie: I just don't.
Jonah: Okay, fine. Let's just say you did want a cookie, and there were cookies in the cupboard. What would you do?
Ronnie: I'd eat a cookie?
Jonah: Exactly, that's all I'm saying.
Ronnie: What are you saying?
Jonah: That if people want cookies, they should get a cookie. It's what people do.
Ronnie: Let me guess. Dad won't let you have a cookie?
Jonah: No. Even though I'm practically starving to death, he won't even consider it. He says I have to have a sandwich first.
Ronnie: And you don't think that's fair.
Jonah: You just daid you'd get a cookie if you wanted one. So why can't I? I'm not a little kid. I can make my own decicions.
Ronnie: Hmm. I can see why this bothers you so much.
Jonah: It's not fair. If he wants a cookie, he can have one. If you want a cookie, you can have one. But if I want a cookie, the rules don't count. Like you said, it's not fair.
Ronnie: So, what are you going to do?
Jonah: I'm going to eat a sandwich. Because I have to. Because the world isn't fair to ten-year-olds.


-Ronnie and Jonah Miller, The Last Song.

this is seriously my favorite part of the book so far, ;D